Sunday, March 14, 2010

What do you do with a B.A....?

I was thinking about this the other day...there must be a ton of slightly subversive female 20-somethings from the Midwest who have graduated with their B.A.s in Theatre/Dance or Women's Studies or Ethnomusicology because they wanted to study what they really loved instead of being safe and studying to be a teacher like their families said they should. There is a gap between being a college co-ed and becoming Bridget Jones and I want to hear from this population because I consider myself one of them...

I've referenced the word "quirkyalone" before, and while I still identify with it, I'm not sure if it truly defines me. I think there needs to be another word...and dagnabbit, that might just be what I set my mind to doing this week...

We were going to change the world in college and now we're working mundane jobs to pay the rent. It's not that we've lost our idealism entirely...it's just not as easy to change the world when you're not in the petri dish of a liberal arts college setting with hundreds of other people with similar backgrounds and aspirations...

I'm the first to admit that I'm addicted to FaceBook--I can spend hours checking in on friends from high school and college and seeing what they're up to. Many are married and starting families...some are in grad school or even Ph.D. programs...and I fell a bit as though I'm in limbo...

Am very excited to get the new production company off the ground and create my own new artistic reality. It's grounding to be collaborating with people who are a bit older than me and have a different educational background...


So maybe that's what you do with a B.A. from a liberal arts school in northeastern Iowa...create your own reality....

1 comment:

  1. ...I'm glad you've got a positive spin on being "in limbo" right now because I sure don't...! I'm excited to hear more about your theatre production and how that comes along!

    ReplyDelete