Sunday, December 27, 2009

Madeline, How We Miss Thee...



"She is one of the most talented people that ever lived. I mean, either in stand-up comedy, or acting, or whatever you want, you can't beat Madeline Kahn."

-Mel Brooks



I miss Madeline Kahn. We have just passed the tenth anniversary of her leaving this world far too soon. So here's a bit of a tribute:


Kahn was born September 29, 1942. She went to Hofstra University on a drama scholarship. While she attended the university, she studied classical opera, but ultimately majored in speech therapy. Her first professional gig was as a chorus girl in Kiss Me, Kate. Her first feature was What's Up Doc, starring Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neal.

She was nominated for two Academy Awards and three Tonys, winning for her portrayal of Dr. Gorgeous in Wendy Wasserstein's The Sisters Rosenweig.

I love Madeline best for her roles in Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and Clue.


Elizabeth in Young Frankenstein.


Who can forget Elizabeth, Dr. Victor Franken--SCHTEEN's high maintenance fiancee?

"Not on the lips....Taffetta, darling, TAFFETTA!!!"

And then, later in the film, the operatic "Oh, sweet mystery of life, I've found you!" during her first encounter with Peter Boyle's creature...

This marked the first collaboration with Mel Brooks. Three other films (Blazing Saddles, High Anxiety, and History of the World: Part I, would follow)






Lili von Schtupp in Blazing Saddles



It's hard to imagine anyone else playing this role. An obvious send-up of Marlene Dietrich, her performance won her an Oscar nod. And was recently ranked number 74 on Premiere's Top 100 Greatest Performances of All Time...


"I'm tired of love uninspired...."





Mrs. White in Clue



"Yes. Yes, I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her, so much...it-it-the-f-it-flam-flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breath-heaving breaths. Heaving breath..."


Really, need I say more?



I will leave you now with some words from Madeline herself:

"It's acceptable for men to act the fool. When women try, they're considered aggressive and opinionated."

No comments:

Post a Comment